Thursday, December 16, 2010

SID 23112.16

KEINMOND-CLASS MINING PLATFORM KEINMOND II
PLASMA DRILL TECHNICAL TEAM KTT-1
CT2 ARMIN SHALE

TECHNICIAN'S LOG

Graeme saved my ass this week. Yeah, I know - it's hard for me to believe, too, but he did. He totally saved my ass. He saw me struggling at work the other day and was all, like, "Dude, what is wrong with you? You've been, like, totally drag-assing lately. Why are you so gakking zoned-out?" He asked me these questions in his usual jerk-ass way, but, for some reason, I thought I detected a note of (I don't know what else to call it) concern in his voice. So, you know, I pretty much told him the truth.

I told him about my trouble sleeping, I told him about my nervousness, my paranoia, my tremors, and he's all, like, "Yeah, well one thing that might help you is if you stop drinking so much gakking coffee. I think I've seen you drink, like, 5 cups so far today already," which was true. He had seen me drink 5 cups, and he had not seen me drink 4 additional cups that day. Yeah, I was at about 3 liters for the day by the time he pointed my coffee abuse out to me, and then it was suddenly so blinken obvious: I was pounding the java to overcome my sleep deficit, when, in fact, my sleep deficit was caused by all the java I was pounding. Vicious circle and all that, and the whole thing exacerbated by all the cheap june I was drinking in the evenings to help me fall asleep.

So, right then, I quit drinking coffee. Switched to herbal tea for the rest of the day. At the end of my shift, I went back to quarters, cranked up the Enya, put on my special t-shirt, and settled into my rack. It took me awhile to drift off, but I stayed in bed, focused on the Enya, and, eventually, I was gone. I slept for 12 hours that night. Woke up a little groggy, but I stayed away from the joe, and by mid-morning I was fine. Better than fine, really. I was calm, alert, rested. The next night, I slept for fewer hours, but I woke up feeling even better.

Today, I woke up feeling like I could tap and re-seal an entire crate of gas canisters, recalibrate a turret-mounted diaphone, and still have the energy and patience to sequence and key two-weeks worth of drill reports- and it's good that I woke with that feeling, because those are the very tasks I had to complete to prepare the plasma drill for tomorrow's big test. So, again, thank you Graeme, you big jerk. I owe you one.

No comments:

Post a Comment